Sunday, August 24, 2008

We can rebuild him. We just don't want to...

It may surprise some of you to learn that I can be a bit of a miserable, sarcastic bastard. No, really, it's true. I by-and-large managed to curtail this personality trait, but it still comes out in my writing. I can in fact, sometimes come across as bitter, callous, even downright nasty. So I'm sorry for that. Really sorry. I cry myself to sleep over what I've done to your feelings, then wake up and punch myself in the nads.

There I go again. Sorry. Sorry. Aaargh. Aaahh, better. Anyway, point is I'm going to make efforts to keep this to a minimum, or at least save it for appropriate occasions. I just find it difficult to admit that things are pretty good for me. I'm the little guy. The underachieving joker who always gets picked last, always drops his ice cream cone into burning dogshit. Well, no more. I've got a decent job, a gorgeous girlfriend who loves me unconditionally (proved beyond doubt this past two weeks, cad that I am), and I get paid in Euros. So even the weakening pound works in my favour. Ha! Screw you, credit crunch!

So yeah, things may change a bit round these parts. They may even get a little bit mushy on occasion. But for now, feast your eyes on the unmoulded hunk of sex-clay that is
Flaky Guevara
Flaky was actually born, somewhere in Latin America, with that beard. In it's short time with we mere mortals, The Beard of Flake has been home to a clutch of sparrows, several species of hitherto unknown weevil and, during his gap-year trip to Belize, a family of pygmies sheltering from Hurricane Alan. Now, in downtown Dublin, he aids the community by protecting old ladies. Not only do these chin-pubes turn water, but they can also be manipulated to turn any park bench into a gazebo. The US government are currently sampling fibres from Flaky's beard as defence from the Russian and Iranian missile program(s).

Yep, it's a cheap shot, and not even a strong one, but I'm trying to lighten the tone at the same time as not getting fired. If it's not enough, Nuts is only.. actually I have no idea. So that's another thing to be proud of.

Hooray for me.

1 comment:

michael sean morris said...

I've made this determination myself - to be less negative. I also forget that just because I'm a pundit online doesn't mean I get to be one at work or on the bus.

It's hard going - and having watched hundreds of hours of British quiz shows, I can tell you, you're up against an entire culture of snark - but just know that too much of it can eat you alive. Without being some sad old newage twat, what you put out comes back at you, so it should be the best you can offer at all times.