Sunday, November 23, 2008

Aussiegate


Here I come again , cap in sweaty hands, shuffling my feet in grovelling apology.

I'm sorry Australia. The post I wrote yesterday came from a very bad place. I was seeing the black dog. I couldn't believe that anyone could love or even care about a city, such is my general frustration and boredom with wandering around strange ones. I directed this feeling towards the cities I've most recently been in rather than creating a post about my desire to live in a moderately spacious cave subsisting on rabbits, seagulls and strangely nutritious rock-slime. But then last night it occurred to me how much I loved my own adopted city and it made me realise the error of my ways. I tend not to think about my actions or words until the damage is done, which is something I'm working on. Most importantly, to save my relationship with my girlfriend, the love of my life.

Until I hit publish I thought I'd been pretty even-handed and, apart from that obvious joke about racist rednecks with insular views, I tried to avoid bashing the Aussie people. I was pretty bitchy about the backpackers cluttering up the place and spreading their own brand of free love but well... they deserve it. But, live and let live is generally my motto. I just didn't get enough sunlight yesterday and I miss my gal something terrible.

So yeah, my apologies if I've hurt or offended anyone. It really wasn't my intention. Stay tuned for a post about why Santa hates us all and the castigation of the Easter bunny.

No comments: