Saturday, January 3, 2009

Top ten films I finally got around to watching on DVD or in-flight entertainment


As you may have gathered, I don't get to the cinema much. So here for your glib amusement, my, well, read the title..

Iron Man
I didn’t see all of this as the pilot couldn’t shut his yap for more than 5 minutes consecutively but it had AC/DC, explosions and Robert Downey Jr with a nightlight in his chest so it was a winner.

In Bruges
I actually really loved this. I normally shy away from the Farrell-bag, but he’s great here; sulking around, dragging his feet like a petulant child. The mix of un-PC belly laughs and cruel sadness was just right. Let down only by the lightly sketched love interest. It was obviously necessary but smacked a bit of under-developed college writing. Of which I am an expert.

There Will be Milkshake.. I mean, blood
I’m a bit thick for films like this. Probably why Davey isn’t talking to me anymore because I slagged off No Country for Old Men. But I did enjoy it. Beautifully shot, a Shining-esque soundtrack, brilliant performances from old Daniel and that creepy preacher kid. I liked the ambiguity of the thing; unlike so many films the plot and writing didn’t lead you by the hand the whole way then give you a lolly for not nodding off.

School of Rock
I can take or leave Jack Black. But a harmless cookie-cutter movie that caused my lip to curl into a half-sneer once or twice.

50 First Dates
A weird mix of slapstick and shameless sentimentality, with a perverse undertone. And yet I still enjoyed it and blubbed at the end.

Pan’s Labyrinth
I stayed up late to watch this one night and I really enjoyed the contrast between whimsy and brutal reality.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
Strangely reminiscent of the BBC serialisation way back in the late 80’s or possibly early 90s, I’m far too lazy to check. I also watched the more brutal Prince Caspian this Christmas. The joy of having kids in the house. Disney succeeded in not completely killing it with their own brand of idealism and I didn’t want to smack any of the kids with a snow-dappled fir-branch, so it goes down as a success.

The Golden Compass
Christ. With a lead actress who makes plywood gaze longingly at her performances and swoon ‘wow, she’s just.. so.. wooden’ and Ian Mckellen voicing an alcoholic polar bear, this was about 7 shades of shit.

OK, so it's not ten. But I slept on a tour-bus last night and I've got work to do so get off my back, alright?
Happy new year to both my readers, apologies for the distinct lack of posting in the past six weeks. I resolve to try harder this year so help my black ass.
Just by way of a recap... had the second scan and it's gonna be a boy, which I and my wonderful lady are overjoyed about.. did a 35-hour suicide-watch series of flights from Australia which resulted in an abcess and ongoing root-canal work... decided on a name which will remain secret, at least until he's born... had a lovely albeit far too brief Christmas break.. continued to obsess over Oasis (it's OK, I'm gonna be a dad now, so all worries about being cool are out of the window)... heard the lil' laddie's heartbeat... took 3 weeks off drinking (thank you aforementioned root canal surgery) and didn't struggle at all... and fell in love all over again.
And here I am, back in Germany in winter. Strap yourselves in folks, it's gonna be a long, whiny ride...

1 comment:

michael sean morris said...

So many reviewers are pompous toss-pots, but not you my friend! You really are the People's Movie Critic.

Congrats on the spawn, try to remember not to celebrate your sobriety by downing a pitcher of Champagne Supernovas - that's made with Moet and water from Sellafield - and keep on keeping on despite the fact that you're in Germany.

Oh, and Happy New Year!